About Orchard House

10 Orchard Street was built in 1906 by J.M. Dawson for importer Sidney Brice – reportedly a large man with a large family of seven children. It was named “Orchard House”.  During the period from 1935 to 1972 the house was divided into multiple apartments, owned by multiple owners.

It took c.10 years for the existing owners to purchase all of the apartments and a two year discussion with architects and structural engineers then ensued.  Finally, in 2013, the house was extensively refurbished and converted into Orchard Street, Boutique Accommodation.

The refurbishment itself saw a fantastic team of builders and tradespeople on site for 12 months.  The structural integrity of the building was upgraded by the completion of extensive seismic strengthening work to comply with Wellington’s ‘earthquake prone’ building standards.  The original terracotta roof was replaced with a lighter shingle one and all chimneys were removed.  Steel bracing was inserted through the four stories of the property and pinned to a large concrete trench, dug by hand, underground.  Earthquake compliant wall linings were added to the internal walls and new plumbing and electrical cable was installed.

Notwithstanding the modernisation of kitchens, bathrooms and general décor, the original solid wood doors, architraves and fire surrounds were retained.  Ceiling roses were restored, as were stained glass windows and as many other original features as possible.

The result is a beautiful bespoke property with the character and charm of a historical home but all the comfort and convenience of modern day living.